Saturday, October 11, 2008

One year ago

I know, two posts in one day. But I was thinking this morning that we have been in this house just over one year now and there are so many things I am thankful for and I want to post my thanks for the good things God gives even though we don't need them:
  • The basement- It's not a huge house but there is soooo much to be said for a basement. So often when I go from the basement to the second floor I feel like a queen in a castle. Our old house was on a slab.
  • A playroom/guest room- Although there is no closet and no windows in this basement side room it's still great to have a place for guests so they don't have to sleep on an air mattress in the living room anymore. It's a lot easier to keep the kids from waking guests up now!
  • Kitchen cabinets and drawers- when I was unpacking it was like getting our wedding gifts all over again, platters and appliances I hadn't seen in three years.
  • A fireplace- Definitely a bonus, we love a good Sunday afternoon fire when the weather is cool.
  • A linen closet- Why houses now are built without them is beyond me.
  • A pantry- I love having enough space to by canned goods that I may not use that week!
  • Room to grow- Again, it's not that big but we can see our family having plenty of room as long as God wants to keep us here.
  • Dark/quiet nights- John and I grew up in the country so we still love to listen to the quiet night and enjoy the darkness while we sleep. (Okay, except for Friday nights during racing season when Florence speedway is open! We aren't that close so it must be really loud at the raceway!)
  • A flowering yard- I think I've said this before but it's so much fun enjoying the fruit of someones labor from 20 years ago. We had so many daffodils this spring I probably cut 10 vases full without making the plants look bare.

1 comment:

The Talberts said...

Oooh. I'm with you on a lot of these.
I love having a playroom. The kids never want to actually play in there, but it's nice to have a place where we can store toys. We also have a lot of kitchen cabinets/drawers and a pantry and I LOVE all of the space.
Room to grow is nice. We also enjoy knowing that we have enough room for more little ones (but not too many more!). I love dark, quiet nights, too! I grew up in Las Vegas and I still feel strange going outside at night and not hearing neighbors throwing dishes at each other or search helicopters hovering over the neighborhood. And flowers? Well .. Donna is an excellent flower gardener, so I just sort of look past our weeds and enjoy the fruit of her labors.

As for a basement .. we don't have one and I feel quite the opposite from you on that one. I didn't love having stairs. I find that I get a lot more laundry done with my laundry room on the same floor as everything else. And I never have to worry about the kids around the stairs.