Sunday, January 10, 2010

joy

E. Fitzpatrick on contentment:
"Why don't I experience the _______ of God? (fill in the blank, joy, peace, love, contentment) Because so many of my thoughts are focused on pushing away the very things that would be his messengers."

Q- hmmmm.... what do you push away?

A.- glitches in my "plan" for the day

Q. What attribute of God do you want to know?
A. I want to know the love of God more. I want to understand how his Son cancelled out all condemnation against me EVEN when I lose my temper with the kids tomorrow. I understand he took my sin on himself and now pleads to my Father on my behalf but what IS his emotion/thought/desire when I complain again, get mad at my kids, or.... pretend that sweets don't pile up on my backside... :-)
I know the way I react when my kids disobey over and over. I know his reaction isn't that but what is it and how can I start acting more like Him towards my kids?

I know, heavy stuff this time. I don't expect or even want you to try to answer it all. This is my prayer and desire for this year. Learn how His work on the cross effects my daily sin and how that GRACE can motivate me away from sinning. I'm really really hopeful that this will help me parent with more patience. I would like to "push away" less and listen more.
I would like to hear his message of mercy IN the moment.

I'll try to keep you somewhat posted on my journey. Little snippets here and there. :-) One thing I know, "If anyone lacks wisdom let him ask it of God, who gives generously without reproof." James 1
And here is a bonus picture of my wonderful, kind, generous, loving, wise, patient, all things warm and fuzzy, grandpa. Anything precious you think he looks in this picture, he is and more. We love him and I just thought this post needed a good smiley and hopeful ending.

2 comments:

kara h said...

This morning I was praying for you to experience God's grace today in a way that allows you to pour that grace out on your kids. I prayed not that the kids would be more obedient, but that when they are disobedient you would praise God for another way to convey the cross; so that both you and they get a chance to think about the work of the cross again and again.

And I love Grandpa.

Susan Holt Simpson said...

Thank you for causing me to self-reflect ----AGAIN! I really identified with the picture of us pushing away. It seems like sometimes I am that child in the store that the parent has firmly by the arm, but who is struggling to get away. Sad, but so true! Thanks for sharing this - I am encouraged, especially by your grandpa's smiling face.

s