Monday, September 1, 2008

The will of God...

As some of you know John and I have never chosen to find out the sex of our babies. Mostly because we love the thrill of waiting at the hospital for the "It's a BOY or It's a GIRL!!" However....this time it was more than my tired, forgetful, frazzled brain could handle and I broke down. I really wanted to know but John didn't so in the spirit of not breaking tradition I said we could wait again.
Until last Thursday...

I decided sometime Thursday that I was going to call the hospital and find out. "I won't tell a soul. I'll just figure it out and be able to rest easily knowing what boxes to unpack and whether or not we have to come up with a baby girl's name..." my tired little brain told me. So, in a desperate act of defiance I called the hospital.

You know the times you say to yourself "Lord, if this isn't supposed to happen just make it obvious." :-) When you know you shouldn't do it to begin with for one reason or another? :-) (Don't say no, I like to tell myself we all do it.)
Well, last Thursday I didn't even bother praying. I knew John would kill me if he ever found out I knew the sex and he didn't and I also knew my sisters and I tell one another everything and it would be next to impossible to keep this a secret but I was doing it anyway with reckless abandon!

So here's the way I found God's Divine will for me:

1) Call the hospital and ask to be connected to the ultrasound department.... waiting.... waiting... "Wrong department, you'll have to call back and try again." Strike one.
Krissy's thought? "Quick, don't think about it and re-dial. (heehee)"

2)Call the hospital ask for the ultrasound department...waiting...
"Wrong department, you need the neonatal department, you'll have to call back and try again." Strike two
Krissy's thoughts? "Again! Again! But get out the phone book and find the stinkin' neonatal department number yourself" (WARNING- this can be a little harder because more time can tempt you to think about the deceitful act your trying to not think about)

3)Call the hospital ask to be connected to the neonatal department..waiting...waiting...
"Sure we can look that up, sometimes it's recorded. Can you hold?"
Me, nervously-"sure." waiting...waiting.. deadness on the other end of the line..., "if you'd like to make a call, please hang up and dial again, if you need help, please dial your operator."
I'm not joking. And at this point what is my desperate rationale? Conviction, embarrassment and retreat? HA! Never! I think, "Well Lord, if it happens a forth time, I'll know I'm not supposed to be doing this." :-)

I know, I'm evil.

So, while now laughing at myself, I sit looking at the phone well aware that I'm going to call back when what happens? The phone rings. It's my sister Kate and I break down with laughter and tell her what happened. End of the story? Nope.

I hang up with Kate and the phone rings again. It's the neonatal department, "Sorry we lost you. I have your file right here."

Now, I have no earthly idea how they got my number or how they pulled my file when I don't even remember giving them my name (I'm sure your shocked after seeing a peek into my brain that I might not remember things) but my brain has enough time to think, (in a very short period of time while fighting out all rational thoughts)
"This must be your will Lord. I didn't call them this time."
Oh, what a confused web a desperate me can weave! :-)

So I reply, "Oh, great."

And her response?

"We don't have the sex of your baby on file."

HA! After all that I have nothing!!

Moral of the story? You can tell me. I can't even come up with one. I just keep thinking of this being one of those times when God looks down on me with pity and a smile like I do to my kids when they throw a fit and it's so pitiful I just smile at them and move them on with a pat on the head. :-)

I confessed all this to John who laughed at me and said, "You wouldn't have told me?!?" What a rational question for such a confused person to answer! I have no idea what I would have done, I just wanted to know, darn it!!!

So, there you have it Katie N. Now you know why I don't blog stories. This was my attempt at the short version and it took me at least 20 minutes to type! :-) Sorry if I confused or scared any of you. :-)

I do have a request: Send me any and all baby girl names you don't mind having used. We've got nothing.

7 comments:

Kentucky Kate said...

Ha ha - I'm so glad you decided to blog this after all! You do a great job telling the story on "paper."

Kentucky Kate said...

Also, we loved Charlotte and Annie (which you probably can't use because of Dora).

Lee and Candace said...

That's a great story. It completely sounds like something I would do!

krissy said...

Kate, Don't even mention the Annie thing! I've always loved that name and i was so excited to use it when out of the blue we started calling her Dora and now it's unusable.

Candace, I actually thought when I was posting this story that you have such sweet posts about your husband that I wondered if you would ever do a thing like this!
I guess we all have our wacky moments!

The Talberts said...

Is it bad that I'm sort of disappointed and wish you'd found out the gender and told us all? Even though the whole moral of the story was that it was wrong?

Okay. You can have my three favorite girl names because Ben is extreme and passionate in his opposition to ever using them: Pixie. Ruby. Soul.
Go ahead. I don't mind. No .. you don't have to thank me. It's the least I can do. ;)

krissy said...

Melissa, Wow, what can I say? Thank you for your generosity! I'll run those by John and let you know. :-)

Janelle S said...

Ooh me, me...I LOVE names, but I'm thankful Brad and I don't have to agree on any more (I think!)

Autumn - We would have used this if we had a girl in the fall
Tavia - unique but easy to pronounce when reading it
Charlotte - that was in the running for Sadie

Brad's currently groaning because he knows I could spend the next 2 hours deciding the 'perfect' name for you so I better stop...I'll probably come back later.