Wednesday, September 24, 2008

New Friends and my Kroger experience

John Patrick is at the point where his age and his friends are very important topics. When anyone asks his age he will tell them he's three and then list all of his friends ages. With emphasis on who he is older than and what ages he will soon be. Even if "soon" is 2 years away.
I think he believes he will actually catch up with Jack.
Yesterday I walked into my bedroom to find him talking to his friend Michael.
Why was that strange?
Michael was his reflection in my full length mirror! :-)
I don't really mind because he was fully aware that it was his reflection. He kind of laughed while he was telling me who he was, but he wasn't ashamed, just amused with his game. Then he kissed Michael goodbye!
John was a little disturbed by this part of the story but we both realize that he kisses most important men in his life goodbye right now so Michael is no different. :-)

My Kroger story isn't as amusing as Katie's seem to be, but it seemed worthy of telling:
John Patrick likes to ride on the front of the cart out of the store and to the car. Today he was hanging on the front and I was pushing the cart into the...cart receptacle (I'm blanking on what this would be called...). He decided to jump off and duck under the railing right as a car is pulling into that spot. I yelled at him to stop while slamming my hand into the windshield of the minivan! Once I realized they were stopping and JP was out of harms way I realized how hard I slammed my hand into their window. Really, really hard!!!! Not that I wouldn't do the same thing again but I was a little afraid I was going to be chewed out by some 5o year old Triple Crown lady with a tennis outfit on. (Have any of you ever shopped at the Union Kroger? Good luck going once without seeing a 50 year old who looks better than you in spandex.) I digress... it was a dad in a minivan who got out of his car with a very understanding smile and said, "Don't even apologize I have 5 kids of my own."

So, thank you Father for watching over my children at all times!!! I'm grateful for the reminder of His sovereign protection.

7 comments:

The Talberts said...

Ben and I are constantly thankful that God watches out for our children in a way that we can't. We have had our share of "near misses".
And I'm pretty impressed with cart receptacle. I would've just called it the cart return thingie.

Kentucky Kate said...

Oh, that's a good Kroger story! I like the ones where everyone ends up nice and safe, instead of the skeezy ones :)

Kimberly said...

I'm glad that guy was gracious to you! He KNEW exactly what you were going through! :) And you are SO RIGHT about the Union Kroger!!! I laughed SO hard about that!

kara h said...

I'm now adding the word "skeezy" to my repertoire...

Kimberly said...

I was thinking about John Patrick's mirror friend and it occured to me that Anne had Katie her "window friend". Remeber how she wanted step into Katie's world? So, maybe it's not so bad. Just don't tell John that JP's been watching too much Anne of Green Gables! :)

krissy said...

Kim! You read my mind. That was the first thing I thougth of! Don;t worry, I didn't mention it to John. :-)

krissy said...

Kim! You read my mind. That was the first thing I thougth of! Don;t worry, I didn't mention it to John. :-)