During our morning family time John and I have, among other things, been reading the apostles creed to the kids. I was supposed to create flash cards or something to help the kids learn it but I haven't exactly made it top priority. This morning when John Patrick said (as he does every morning before we read it) "I don't know this" we asked him to just try to say as much of it as he could remember. Aside from calling Pontius Pilot, Pontius Parrot and something else I can't remember a "carrot", he knew almost the whole thing!! I have him pegged as being a visual learner but apparently I'm wrong. check.
Next on the list is reading from a great book John found called Sammy and his Shepherd. (I highly recommend it) It's a neat story about Sammy the sheep built around Ps. 23. So we generally read Ps. 23 before the story. Since he had just recited the creed I decided to ask him to say as much of chapter 23 as he could while I read it. Yep, he said close to the whole thing! So much for visual learning.
Now, with the theme of the day being "see how much my kids know that I don't" I decide to try saying our bedtime verse with Dora. It's really been buddy's thing but I started it with her not to long ago. Again, she recited Ps. 4:8 almost perfectly.
Honestly, where have I been?
Not busy with Anella, wait til you hear my next story. (It's been quite an eye opening day) After coming home from the post office at 5pm I quickly got the kids settled (okay, I turned on Curious George) and started working on something I had been procrastinating on that needed done asap. One hour later as I walk back through the kitchen I find Anella, merrily sucking on her fingers still strapped into her car seat sitting on the kitchen table. Please don't report me. Her head wasn't covered with anything and she was content as a little lark.
As Steve Barnett would say when he wants you to know this attitude is typical of someone, "Have you met Anella?" She's sleeping across my lap as I type this because I still feel guilty about neglecting her and to make myself feel better I'm holding her more than normal. :-)
I don't know the moral of this story. Grace upon Grace!!
Also, my camera is broken. Sorry to Noni and others who like to see the kids, there haven't been many pictures lately. It's on my to do list!
5 comments:
You know, I'm not a mom and don't know what the whole mom-thing is like, but I hear that it happens to moms everywhere!! I'm sure that with my two sisters having 4 kids each that they have stories just lke this one! My niece once wallowed in dog poop and ate some when we left her alone in the backyard. Does that make you feel better? :) It should, cause that was gross.
Ben met the kids and me for lunch one day when Eli was first born. We parked next to each other and I began chatting to Ben right away in a way that only a cooped-up mom can. Ben got Jacob and Libby out and headed toward the restaurant. I trotted along behind them, feeling light as a feather. That light feeling was because I forgot Eli. I left him in the car and made it almost to the door before I shouted, "Oh my gosh! We have three kids! One is missing!" Luckily child protective services was nowhere nearby. And luckily your blog is private.
I love how much of the Bible is worked into your day. Can you put on your list a post about your routines for scripture memory and Bible readings with the kids? Thanks!!
THis is why I never leave the house.
Someone would be forgotten for sure.
Krissy, we started having Isabel recite after us some scripture at night. I think it has made somewhat of a difference. Thanks for the idea. We have always read the Bible and prayed with her before bed, but the scripture was something we hadn't started. She can't do it by herself yet, but I'm sure it won't be long.
Post a Comment