Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Craziness

If you haven't heard about the HPV vaccination that came out a little while ago this is a great/simple place to check it out. HPV is a sexually transmitted disease that causes among other things, cervical cancer and genital warts. (sorry. most boys reading this just gagged a little.) I have mixed opinions on the vaccination itself but I won't go into that. What I am certain about is that it shouldn't be made mandatory for Kentucky public/private school children to be vaccinated.

  1. It is not passed outside of direct sexual contact with another person. You can't catch it like the measles or mumps. School children aren't going to have an accidental outbreak just by sitting at their desks learning to multiply fractions.
  2. The only "opt out" clause is overridden if the government decides it is an epidemic. The thing is, this has already been called an epidemic. Which I agree with. But only in those who are sexually active. (they estimate that 1 in 2 people who are sexually active outside of marriage have had or will have HPV sometime in their lives.) So, you can see how it wouldn't be hard for them to mandate it without an "opt out".
  3. They only tested this for 6 months on less than 1500 girls between 9-I think 12, maybe 15. The rest of the testing was done on 20,000 plus women over that age (still for only 6 months!!). BUT, they want to mandate it for girls going into middle school. What age is that, like, 9-10.
  4. There have been a possibility of this drug being related to 20-25 deaths in the last year to year and a half that it has been available. I know that this is just a possibility but I think it should be looked into.
  5. It only covers 4 of the approx. 30 types of HPV. That is the four that cause around 75% of cervical cancer and genital warts. So, here kids, this will protect you... mostly.

I immunize my children for all other communicable diseases that have been used for the last 14 years or longer. Definitely not tryin' to stir that pot here!It is for the parent, not the government to decide if my child should be put at risk for something that others are choosing to contaminate their bodies with. I wish Merck would put half as much money into educating kids on how they get the disease. HERE'S THE POINT:

Kentucky State Legislature is voting on this THURSDAY!

Call the legislative message line 1-800-372-7181 and leave this message with the receptionist for your Representative: (The receptionist will help you if you don’t know who your Representative is, I didn't.) All you have to say is, “Please vote against a government mandate of HPV. Vote ‘no’ on House Bill 69.” Honestly it takes 2 minutes. Do it!

5 comments:

The Talberts said...

A friend of mine emailed me a petition against it. I'll forward it to you, if you'd like.

Things like this make me glad that we are planning to homeschool. I would move to another country before I let Libby have the HPV vax.

Kara said...

Oh there's something brewin' with that vaccine- I went to a continuing ed. class last week and they said that a girl has apparently DIED from that series of 3 vaccines... I haven't researched it yet, but I would not put that garbage into my child.

This is slightly off the subject, but the oral surgeon that was putting on the lecture said he has never seen so many cases of oral cancer in people in their 30's- and they think it's from the HPV. Just found that interesting.

krissy said...

I have heard that about the possible deaths. again, craziness.

Thanks so much for the info. I teach an abstinence based sex ed course in the public shools here and it's good to get that info. Did he give you any research data or was this just his opinion? I bet the oral sex obsession is just about enough to make you dentist have to study a whole new field of medicine. It's so sad because kids eyes are just as big as pies when they hear the truth, they just rarely hear it.

The Talberts said...

I also wanted to add that I'm not a boy, but I gagged a little when I read "genital warts" because I had just sat down to catch up on blogs .. with my lunch.

Also .. my verification word is "pregmo".

Kara said...

Krissy, the oral surgeon said that was just his observation about the young people w/oral cancer. He said it used to be your typical old guy who smoked/chewed tobacco and drank that had the oral cancer, but no more- we need to be doing a thorough exam on everyone.