Wednesday, March 17, 2010

meanwhile at the park....

...the Livingstons are on a leisurely nature hike when they come to a deep, muddy swamp covering the trail. They've already walked most of the 1 mile trek (with a three year old in tow and 20 pounds of chub strapped to the crazy mommy's back) and can just about see the end but have no way of crossing the muddy mire. They have come across a sloppy, happy, drooling dog (quickly named "Master" by the four year old begging to "follow our master!") who was more than thrilled to splash his way through the mess, much to the four year old boys envy. "I like being nasty mom!" he pleads. But to no avail. Nothing to do (in mom's eyes) but turn around and hope the three year old can make it. But wait, what luck! A trail with arrows that say, "welcome center". About 1/4 of a mile down the muddy but not swampy trail four year old boy says, "I think we should pray." Proceeds to fold his hands, "God, thank you for this day. (don't all prayers start that way?) Please get us off of this HORRIBLE trail." Lots of emphasis on the horrible part. Then he starts daydreaming of the packed lunch left behind in the Jeep. "Mom, wouldn't it be great to be on a boat right now? All that great sea food. Hamsters and things...."

Okay, long story short, half a mile and a Bison encounter later we made it to the Jeep. I was so proud of Dora. At one point she said, "mom, my legs really hurt." And because I'm such a compassionate creature, I said, "I know Dora, I'm really proud of you. You should try carrying Anella on your back."

3 comments:

running shoes said...

brilliant! i love your response to Dory and Buddy's prayer!
what an adventure!

the mama said...

It was even funnier the 2nd time around!

Kate said...

LOL!! Hamsters????