Saturday, March 27, 2010

Buttermilk Banana Bread

I know. You're thinking, "what can make this Banana Nut Bread any better than your old run of the mill?" But I'm telling you people, the girls and I (tangent~how fun is that? Enjoying a beautiful Saturday morning baking with my girls while the men drive big trucks and work on tractors.) made a loaf today and every time I make it I say, "Man! This is the best quick bread ever. I should share this." So we took some to friends and neighbors and thought my blogging buddies would like it too.
So, here's the recipe. I think it came out of the Mitford cook book.


1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
3 ripe bananas mashed
1 1/2 cup white flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup buttermilk

oven at 350, spray loaf pan with nonstick spray.
cream oil and sugar, beat in eggs, add bananas, sift flour baking soda and salt, add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, bake 45 minutes.
Anella dumps while Dora stirs. Dora tolerated this new idea. :-)

Next were some chocolate covered strawberries and pineapple for dessert.

3 comments:

The Talberts said...

Oooh. I have some too-ripe-to-eat bananas on the counter right now. I'm going to try to give this a shot in the next day or two. Whenever I come across a recipe that calls for buttermilk, I usually substitute a vinegar/milk mixture. I never have buttermilk on hand.

Anyway. Love your girls' darling aprons! :)

kara h said...

it is from the Mitford cookbook and it is stupid good!

krissy said...

Melissa~ I use milk/lemon juice. Who spends the extra when that works just as well?