Wednesday, September 15, 2010

honest

John Patrick threw rocks at school yesterday.
So I ask, "Are you allowed to throw rocks at home?"
Insert obvious answer.
"The same rules are at school."
Not so obvious response, "Yeah, but when you're not looking I throw rocks at home too."
I laughed a little inside at his honesty. He didn't say it in a rebellious way, just stated the obvious.
So, any suggestions on helping kids understand the transition from following rules because mommy says so, into following rules because they are right and true everywhere?
I love watching my kids play together. Especially in the yard when they are in make believe land. I love hearing the pretend stories and watching them include Anella who thinks she gets it but is in her own world. I even love (on the days when I have time to throw them all in the stationary tub) how incredibly dirty they can get. Can you see that layer of grit covering them in the picture? That's covering my house too after a long and successful summer of imagination. I digress...
They are really eager for this time now that buddy's at school half of the day. It makes me excited to see what the fourth little one will add to the mix. Now, if only I didn't wonder how often they're throwing rocks out there while they play....

4 comments:

Pocket said...

Ha! When you figure that one out, I've got 20 fourth graders who need to know the answer.

Pamela said...

I think one important thing to NOT say is "Don't let me catch you doing that again" it seems to me it indicates (in a child's mind anyway) that it is ok to do it as long as I don't get caught. Since your kids are Christian's you could try: God is every where and knows what we do even if Mommy doesn't.
???? I don't know. I know I screw up all the time. It's obvious you really want to try to do it right. I bet you are a great Mom!

Kara said...

Love love love that black and white picture! Grimey little Anella looks like a stinker for sure.

Staples Family said...

Krissy, I gotta say...I'm just grateful mine are honest! I think the right answer is "well, I'm not happy that you don't obey when I"m not looking, but I AM happy that you told me the truth about it". Isaac is the same and I ADORE the fact that he trusts me enough to tell the truth. I will do whatever it takes to protect that, even if I loosen up on the punishments for a while. I want him to love the feeling of telling the truth (even if I have to hear I'm "humongous"! Great writing and always great pictures!! Jami Staples