Notice PLEASE how completely smitten Dora is with her older brother. Holding onto his arm. Oh, be still my heart. She was asking for him around 11 and was ticked when I told her we had to wait just a little longer. The only shame about this picture is that you can't see Kate's completely adorable jumper. Jack and Kate are my good friend Maria's kiddos. Kate is in John Patrick's class.
At the back pack hook. So proud.
Now, this was funny. As soon as we got him settled into his seat, he got this far away look on his face, eyes wandering everywhere and didn't come back out of it. He was so interested in his desk and the walls. At first I thought he looked scared but he was just half tired and half wanting to see everything at once. John and I were cracking up during the opening assembly watching him. He was yawning, looking around, picking his nose. The kindergartners (all 6 of them, 3 boys and 3 girls) were so clueless. It was amusing.
When I picked him up he said, "Hi mom. I had a great day at kindergarten!" When asked what he did he said, "I don't know, we learned something about calendars but I don't really remember."
Other highlights included: - playing tag to learn the other kids names
- snack~ he said the other kids had healthier and better snacks (I thought an apple and mixed nuts was pretty healthy.) Tomorrow I'm instructed to pack either grapes, carrots or cheese.
- There is a girl with black hair who he had to tell to stop touching his head.
- He learned how to sit properly in a chair (funny how I've been trying to teach this for 4 years now but all the sudden it sunk in after one day in kindergarten.) fold his arms in front of him and push his chair in. He instructed all of us on this at lunch time.
- When I was laying with him for a nap he gave me a kiss and said, "momma, you're my favorite teacher." and then, "momma, you're my favorite momma." sniff sniff.
- He showed me his behavior chart and told me if he doesn't get a green sticker it means he did something bad that day. :-) Then, at lunch he prayed that God would please help him to do good at school.

That's the short of it. I'll keep posting things as quickly as I can so baby brain can't suck them away into oblivion.
I'm so thankful for his wonderful, kind, sweet teacher and we're all excited to see what this year brings. One last thought. The headmaster (yes, that's what he's called) was thanking the parents this morning for making the sacrifices necessary to send our kids to Cornerstone. Which is the same thing the homeschool curriculum I bought for Dora said, I and I imagine the same thing a public school parent is thinking as they work towards raising their kids in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. What a high calling. I pray for wisdom to always bring the gospel glory no matter what form of schooling we choose.
"Not unto us oh Lord, not unto us, but to your name be the glory!" Psalms 115:1
7 comments:
Success! I'm so glad you posted, I've been dying to hear about JP and his first day of school, but I wasn't sure when he started. I bet he's the greatest kindergartener ever to be kindered! Does he go for a half day? Sounded like he did, which would be so nice.
Hope you're feeling well!
Oh, he is the most handsome thing ever!
He told a girl to stop touching his hair?! Hysterical!
I almost cried when I saw the group shot...God is so GOOD!
Listen, this pregnant momma cried her way through your post. How precious and God is so good. Does it seem bittersweet? Such a big boy now and still your little baby. Augh! I'm really crying! Blast these hormones! Great post, Kris, so excited to see these new things happening in your family!
Thanks for sharing, I love it.
OH KRISSY !!!!! That is just beyond precious.
Yeah! It looks like all went splendidly your first day. I love the shot with you all and the Davis's gettin ready to go to school. What fun to have a good friend to share the adventure with!
*sigh* That was beautiful. So glad he liked his first day of school! My Tommy (#3) will be off to kindergarten after Labor Day, I wish it wasn't all day K. They are so grumpy after a full day!
I liked the hair story, too. :)
Post a Comment