Wednesday, May 5, 2010

For the adventurous


Here is a new recipe I just made and we really liked.
Falafels with cucumber-yogurt sauce

Falafels-

Pulse in a food processor-

  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided

  • 1 can rinsed chickpeas

  • 1 cup diced onion

  • 3 garlic cloves

  • 1/4 cup each packed fresh cilantro and parsley

  • zest of one small lemon

  • 1/2 tsp each kosher salt, ground cumin, red pepper flakes baking powder

Transfer to a bowl and stir in-

  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1 egg, beaten

Drop in golf sized balls onto hot baking sheet and bake 30-40 minutes
Yogurt sauce- combine in a serving bowl-

  • 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt (I use full fat:-)

  • 1/2 cup seeded minced cucumber, squeezed dry

  • 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice

  • 1 tsp minced garlic

  • salt and cayenne pepper

Serve with Melissa's pita bread (which is incredibly easy and sooooo good) and sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce.
I think your supposed to serve them open faced on the pita bread but we made little sandwiches. Lots easier for the kids. They were a hit. Low cholesterol and high fiber. John said it's a good summer meal. Happy cooking!! (I doubled this to make enough for my family)

2 comments:

Erin said...

Wow, sounds yummy! I might need you to teach me.

Susan Holt Simpson said...

Stop it. RIght now. You got that photo from a magazine website, didn't you!