
We are having so much fun this Christmas. School happens in between talking about the gift of Jesus and baking, shopping, celebrating and cleaning up from all of the above. John Patrick read, "mad at me" today. This is a blessing considering about every third day he forgets what sound half of the letters say. :-) I've been assured by an old home schooling pro that this is just boys and the key word right now is RELAX. If he can't read a word until he's 8 but loves to learn he'll get it. "Encourge him in the love of learning" she said. If she hadn't home schooled 3 boys herself (very successfully I might add, they're brilliant) I would think she was crazy. The child she said is her most brilliant didn't read much of anything at all until he was 8. encouraging. Character building is ramped up for mommy as I remember my high calling in life. Mary said it best, "let it be unto me as you have said." It's so easy to stress over things being hectic during the holidays but I'm working hard at patience and taking advantage of what life brings each day instead of planning it all out to perfection. That never worked anyway.
Anella has a new "stand your ground" motto for life. Only one short month after my post about her sweet and angelic personality. :-) I can't blame her though, a girl can only stand to be picked up and drug around the house as the pretend puppy so many times.
This is the first year we have had to take a stand on Santa. I'm not opening a debate here, we're not calling the shots for anyone other than our family. We found a great book about St. Nicholas that I love. It helps me show John Patrick who St. Nick was when he asks questions and it shows how he gave gifts out of his love for Jesus. Then I tell him that Santa Claus is another nic name. We just try to use Santa to point to the one who really does see you when your sleeping and know when you're awake. Tonight we delivered a meal to a family and then John Patrick said, "mom, we're glorifying God just like St. Nicholas." :-) Now if only we could get this to apply to sharing toys with your sisters...
6 comments:
Buster looks like such the protective older brother in that last picture--it just melts my heart! Tell him to stop growing up so fast!!
On Sunday he gave me a big hug and said, "Grammy, I just love you." Talk about melting the heart!
Good timing on this posting. I've been thinking about the whole Santa thing, too...you'll have to read my blog.
I love that first picture. How cute!
Also .. have you noticed that other adults are the most difficult aspect to explaining the Santa issue to children? That has been the case for us, anyway. I feel strongly about not lying to my children or promoting the materialistic end of this season (which is what I feel like I would be doing if I led them to believe in the myth of Santa for themselves). But everywhere we go, people ask Jacob and Libby if they've been good this year and if Santa is going to come to their house with presents. Jacob (even though we repeatedly talk to him about being sensitive to others' beliefs, particularly when other children are around) will usually say, "Well .. Santa isn't real." And people will not accept that my kids don't buy it. "Well .. who told you that?!" they ask. Or, "Well .. I don't know. I saw him at the mall yesterday!" Or whatever. And they actually look at me sort of accusingly. It's weird.
But, how long till those kids come see Noah, we miss them.
Kris,
Will you give out the title of the book?
We also are having similar issues, mostly with other adults.
Post a Comment