The baby story is pretty short. (Thank you Janelle for the tip on getting to to hospital, although it wasn't quite warp speed like yours!) I started having contractions that were very small around 5:45am Tues. morning. When they turned out to be regular and actually hurting a little, around 6:15, I woke John up. He asked his two questions that are turning out to be routine for us. "Can I sleep a little longer?" and "Can I make coffee?" He isn't being insensitive, he just loves coffee and works very hard so he thinks these things in his sleep anyway. (And he had been up until 2am reading theology books, something you will never find me at 2am doing.) Anyway, I told him he could sleep a little while I timed them but that only lasted about 15 minutes. We were out of bed and on our way by 7am.
I'm not one of these, "I like to labor at home for awhile" kind of people. I like to get a room, settle in and get the fluids pumping so I'm sure the epidural is there when I want it. My midwife told me I had great self control in labor and that I would be a great candidate for natural childbirth. HA! I told her I was a great candidate for natural childbirth as long as I know the epidural is coming. Natural to 5 centimeters is natural enough for this girl.
I digress... when we get to the hospital I'm still at the same measurements as last weeks o.b. visit so in true form they keep me in the waiting room for a long time. I loved my nurse but I couldn't convince her that I WAS in labor. I was only 3/4 and 2 cm. with my last two and delivered 5 hours after that so I knew it was just a matter of a slow start. Again, get the IV going because when whether I'm 3 or 8 centimeters the baby is coming. But I still had to walk for awhile until she graciously lied and told my midwife I was 4 so I could get a room and an IV. Thank you Debbie (ask for her if you deliver at St. Luke!!).
So now it's about 8:30 and I've got the IV pumping and three GREAT people helping me not lose it. The wonderful anesthesia came and the midwife checked me and said I was at 5 cm... 45 minutes later and some MAJOR pain from a posterior delivery ( hope none of you have had to or ever have to do that!) and baby Anella was here. John and I were the only ones who guessed girl and we only did it to be obstinate so everyone was surprised. It was really fun.
She is the sweetest little thing and she looks a lot like John Patrick except for all the jet black hair inherited from her grandpa. She has been such a content little thing and her siblings love her. John Patrick goes over to her every now and then and says, "You're pretty cute." and Dora calls her "my lela". (I'm trying to decide if Dora thinks she's Cinderella because she calls them both the same thing.)
She is sleeping great and I actually have to wake her up for now while my milk supply regulates. Here's hoping she really wants to sleep for many hours and soon I'll let her. For now she goes 3 hours during feeding in the day and 3-4 hours at night, something Dora didn't get straight for weeks!!
So, kind of a long story but hopefully you all weren't to bored with the details. We can't wait for you all to meet our little one, get ready for the hair!!
**Also, I have a 2.00 off coupon for Dreft laundry detergent, do any of you cloth diapering mommies use/want this?***
5 comments:
bored... no way!!! I love hearing about a new little one arriving into this world! She is so beautiful!
Thank you for sharing, I love birth stories! I've never dealt with a posterior delivery before, so I'm glad you were "comfortable" for that! She is beautiful, and so happy for you that you are getting some sleep, my Anna had that same sleep schedule from the get-go. Hooray for good babies!!!!
Uh, posterior delivery? That doesn't sound pleasant. Maybe I should do some reading.
She's so beautiful! Every conversation I've had with anyone since she's been born has included quite a few "I had no idea a newborn baby could be so beautiful!" comments.
I've found that you can't really use Dreft on cloth diapers. I used it on Jacob's and Libby's clothes when they were newborn, though. Do you not like it?
Kim- oops, sorry. I shouldn't have scared you. It was hard, but it only lasted as long as pushing and I can do anything for that short of a time. The result is far beyond the small pain!!!!!
I'm so sorry you had the round ligament (sp?) thing. I did hit the floor a few times from that during the last week but I never dealt with it for more than 3 seconds. I can't imagine one whole minute of it!!!
Melissa- I haven't tried it. I've never had a problem with my cheap stuff. For some reason I thought that's what people used on cloth diapers. I'm a cloth diapering dummy. :-)
Post a Comment