The last two weeks have been a whirlwind of events, emotions and changes for our family. I mean our extended family too. We have had a birth, a death, a wedding and a new leader for our country all within the last two weeks. Whew!
I couldn't help but look up Ecclesiastes 3 and read again, ""For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven." I have thought lots of times, "Calm down, God is in control."
I couldn't help but look up Ecclesiastes 3 and read again, ""For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven." I have thought lots of times, "Calm down, God is in control."
While I was in labor Kara was helping talk me through contractions and one particular thing she said gave me so much comfort and I had no idea how many times I would think it in the weeks to follow, "God has this planned out perfectly and it will not be more than you can handle."
Fear is one of the things that makes me lose focus quickly. Anything from "can I handle the next contraction?" to "can I make it to Iowa and back in one piece?" to "what does Obama really have planned for America?" to "can I wake up again in 3 hours to feed her without crying?" and so on and so on... my brain doesn't seem to run out of things to paralyze my faith and make me want to go running home to my parents house and play "runaways" like we used to where the biggest threat was an imaginary step-mother who hated you. ;-)
Ps. 131 "Oh, Lord my heart is not lifted up, my eyes are not raised to high for me. I do not think on things to great or marvelous, or matters to difficult to me. For I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with it's mother is my soul within me." I just keep reminding my poor brain that His ways/timing are not mine and that it will not be more than I can handle.
Later on in Ecclesiastes 3 the writer is talking about the worker and his toil and it says, "I perceived that there is nothing better for them than to be joyful and to do good as long as they live." This is where my mother-in-law has always been a tremendous example to me. Anyone who knows us well knows how much we love love our Noni (Bonnie). John's mom has had the longest three weeks. She came here to help me with kids a week before Anella arrived, doing laundry, dishes and crawling around on the floor to play with the kids. She left only 5 days before her sons wedding, and dealt with the surprise of her mothers death the day after arriving home. We had a funeral the day of the wedding rehearsal. She still had us all in her home and continued with the laundry and dishes and adding meals to her load. She is an amazing example of "being joyful and doing good". I wish I could articulate better how much she serves joyfully, but I can't and she'll probably hate that I even posted this much. :-) Thank you Noni.
The wedding was wonderful. The kids... did a good job. :-) John Patrick had a sudden case of shyness when they were supposed to walk the isle so after trying to get his attention I finally had to walk down and escort them the rest of the way. It all worked out. Dora enjoyed her time as "lela" (Cinderella) but now I think it's time we stop feeding that one before her head explodes.
The wedding was a little crazy and I forgot my camera at the rehearsal (I did remember all my children though, a relief) so I'll have to wait to get some pictures from Jay and Jess.
And in baby news Anella has already gained a pound (8.7) which my pediatrician says is rare in breast fed babies. He told me congratulations on being a great milk source... um, Thank you? I was a little confused by that one.
Fear is one of the things that makes me lose focus quickly. Anything from "can I handle the next contraction?" to "can I make it to Iowa and back in one piece?" to "what does Obama really have planned for America?" to "can I wake up again in 3 hours to feed her without crying?" and so on and so on... my brain doesn't seem to run out of things to paralyze my faith and make me want to go running home to my parents house and play "runaways" like we used to where the biggest threat was an imaginary step-mother who hated you. ;-)
Ps. 131 "Oh, Lord my heart is not lifted up, my eyes are not raised to high for me. I do not think on things to great or marvelous, or matters to difficult to me. For I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with it's mother is my soul within me." I just keep reminding my poor brain that His ways/timing are not mine and that it will not be more than I can handle.
Later on in Ecclesiastes 3 the writer is talking about the worker and his toil and it says, "I perceived that there is nothing better for them than to be joyful and to do good as long as they live." This is where my mother-in-law has always been a tremendous example to me. Anyone who knows us well knows how much we love love our Noni (Bonnie). John's mom has had the longest three weeks. She came here to help me with kids a week before Anella arrived, doing laundry, dishes and crawling around on the floor to play with the kids. She left only 5 days before her sons wedding, and dealt with the surprise of her mothers death the day after arriving home. We had a funeral the day of the wedding rehearsal. She still had us all in her home and continued with the laundry and dishes and adding meals to her load. She is an amazing example of "being joyful and doing good". I wish I could articulate better how much she serves joyfully, but I can't and she'll probably hate that I even posted this much. :-) Thank you Noni.
The wedding was wonderful. The kids... did a good job. :-) John Patrick had a sudden case of shyness when they were supposed to walk the isle so after trying to get his attention I finally had to walk down and escort them the rest of the way. It all worked out. Dora enjoyed her time as "lela" (Cinderella) but now I think it's time we stop feeding that one before her head explodes.
The wedding was a little crazy and I forgot my camera at the rehearsal (I did remember all my children though, a relief) so I'll have to wait to get some pictures from Jay and Jess.
And in baby news Anella has already gained a pound (8.7) which my pediatrician says is rare in breast fed babies. He told me congratulations on being a great milk source... um, Thank you? I was a little confused by that one.
John Patrick at the rehearsal dinner playing with his new cars, thanks Jay and Jessica!!
2 comments:
What a great post and so good to hear from you considering your crazy few weeks! We're a lot alike in that fear is something that can really drive us in ways that we don't like. I was really encouraged by you today and thank you for posting.
What a great, encouraging post! Thanks for the verses and the reminders.
Post a Comment