Friday, August 1, 2008

What ever happened to great places like this?

http://www.beiersdorferorchard.com/
If anyone has been deprived this year like me of a really good peach this is the place to go. Okay, I haven't been yet this year because I just called to make sure they have them but I have gone every year that I have been able to drive and it always comes through for me. Including the year I literally got sick on peaches on the ride home, but no need to go any further about that... just let it be known that it is, in fact, possible to each enough peaches that the fuzz of the skin irritates your stomach until it can't take it anymore. I wish Dick G. would have let me in on this secret before my 5th peach but, now I know. I always skin them when I eat 5 now. :-)
Anyway, it is the nicest family and the most unfortunate part is that the Bill, the original owner must have passed away this winter according to the website. He was the nicest man. A few years ago John and i made the drive and forgot our check book or cash. Mr. Beiersdorfer just said, "Go ahead and take them and mail me a check. I've never had anyone stand me up yet."
I have not said this type of family run orchard and general store (Did I mention the homemade dry mixes that Hilda makes and stitches a little vegetable bag for carrying?) is easy on the pocket book but it isn't a whole lot more than the grocery.
If nothing else check out the web page for Hilda's fruit recipe's. I can't wait to try apple butter this year. :-)

1 comment:

kara h said...

Ah, the peach fuzz incident. How fondly I recall it.

I didn't know Bill let you leave without paying once. That's really cool. NKOL occasionally lets people use our equipment for months on end without paying too...

I plan on going again this year!