Isaiah 40:11 "He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young."
Sunday, July 27, 2008
One more lesson from VBS
Today at church John Patrick sat with us in the service. When the title of Pastor Brad's sermon came up on the screen with a picture of a cross in the back-ground John Patrick says, "Hey, mom, God died on the cross for us." I was very surprised and then he said, "Why?" Hmm... I'm not sure I know exactly what to say and right when Pastor Brad is starting is probably not the best time for the full Roman's road but now I'm stuck thinking about an answer. I know he's not looking for a full gospel presentation but I feel a little pressure to know what my strategy is for the gospel message! I know that sounds ridiculous but has anyone else found this a little hard to put into three-year old terms? With total trust in the grace of God for my child's salvation and knowing I can't screw this up... help from anyone of you would be appreciated! :-)
4 comments:
I'll start this off by saying that I've never tried what I'm about to suggest, I'm just throwing it out there.
I'm thinking that rather than starting with the doctrine of the depravity of man and ending with a study of propitiation, you could try just answering the question as simply as possible - something like "Jesus died on the cross to pay for our sins". Then, after waiting a while to see if he has any follow up questions, try to get him thinking some more by asking him a few questions. Did he know his sins needed to be paid for, or why. Just keep going in that direction (answer, wait, ask) until he's absorbed all he can.
Thanks for posting this. It gave me a lot to think about. I'll be in your shoes in a year or so.
Let me know what answers you come up with. On Saturday when Elly randomly asked me to talk to her about Jesus I did ok, but I major struggled to put stuff in two-year-old terms. (She seemed to get heaven is our home, but she kept thinking I was saying Kevin and asking me if Sharayah was going to be there!) I think a book purchasing trip is in my future! Not so much to read them to her as for me to read them myself and see how stuff is worded. :o)
Jacob stumps me with interesting theological questions quite often. And like you, my main problem isn't knowing the answer, it's knowing how to break it down for a three year old's understanding.
Ben always has the perfect answers for questions like that.
I'm curious to see what others say.
Ok, take my two cents knowing that I do NOT have any kids. :)
I agree with Eric to just state the truth simply and wait and see what happens.
I would ask JP simple questions in return to see if he gets it, too. Like, if you say that Jesus died for our sins I might ask him later "Remeber when Mommy told you about Jesus? Why did Jesus die on the cross?" Depending on his answer you'd be able to tell where he is with all and how you may or may not want to tweak your talks with him.
Kris, I praise God that at three John Patrick can just say that God died on the cross for us! What a blessing and encouragement!!!
Post a Comment