Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Good news, bad news and a predicament

Good news: My wonderful husband built us a bird feeder because I love bird feeders and it has brought some beautiful birds.

Bad news: Some little, teeny-tiny bird decided to climb inside it and build a nest.

Good news: The cutest little pink speckled eggs arrived and this is a great opportunity to teach my kids about God and nature.

Bad news: After three of the six eggs hatched something went wrong and the little babies were found "sleeping".

Predicament: What do I tell poor John Patrick? He was so excited and when we found them "sleeping" I just played along but now I realize he will want to see them again and I have to tell him the truth. :-( Which raises the age old question, "Is there a birdie heaven?"


3 comments:

The Talberts said...

Hmm. That's tough.
Something that I've noticed with Jacob is that he is able to handle the truth (presented in a gentle way) and I often underestimate this capability. Raising animals for food has brought up interesting questions that I have found, for Jacob, are best answered casually and truthfully.
I know all children are different, though.
Let us know how he takes it.

Kentucky Kate said...

I don't know, I'm a fan of, "they must have grown up and flown away." :)

krissy said...

Thanks Melissa, I think you're right on this one, I do tend to underestimate his thought process and his ability to understand that God is in control.
Kate, based on the fact that Elise is still afraid of smashy tatos I think your answer might be best for your delicate girl for awhile!! :-)