I knew going into the summer the time would fly by. Thankfully, by God's grace, we had the presence of mind on lots of days to just enjoy life's blessings.
Seeing our family picture sometimes catches me off guard. Who's kids are all those!?!
I celebrated a friend's first born, Lucia (said with a "ch", which I love.) She is beautiful, as you can see.
John Patrick will be starting first grade on the 22nd. It's wonderful to go into a school year without all the pregnancy hormones like last year. :-) I'm excited to see all he learns this year. He seems to really enjoy and learn well under the classical method of songs and chants. I'm sure they'll be a little bit of an adjustment being there all day but he's very interested to see what's like.
I mentioned awhile ago we started visiting a new church this spring. God is really opening my eyes to all he is doing in His kingdom on Sunday mornings and throughout the week. I have been humbled and then blessed to see God's people bringing him glory all over Northern KY. I'm starting to view myself and my little family as part of a bigger body and just a piece of the history of his people being redeemed. It's a neat place to be right now. Kind of one of those "oh, i see" moments.
I have lots of thoughts on the purpose of the God's law (commandments from scripture) in my parenting but I'm not sure I'll ever get the time to regularly sit down and think them out on this blog. It's something God's teaching me about this summer. After six and a half years of parenting now, I seem to see less place for manners just for the sake of manners. I've been thinking a lot about some of the things I regularly hear myself say to my kids, example, "You need to stop being selfish." They can't! It's true that it's won't stop being the standard but God hasn't given them the ability to stop yet. Rather, I want them to understand that it's what's expected but I'm trying use the moment to point them towards Jesus, who died for that sin of stealing the toy from your sister, and reminding them that he came to earth to die for that very sin and that if we ask him, he'll forgive it and love us like we've never stolen a toy in our whole lives. Now that is motivation not to steal next time. Just some of my thoughts. So, if my kids are a little more unruly for a bit right now while I adjust some of my parenting thoughts, it's because sometimes when I don't like the standard run of the mill rule I'm about to feed my kids I just don't and I'll admit right now, they're just getting a little less "rules" right now while I think it out. They're also getting a little less "I've told you that lots of times, why do you keep doing it?!?" Which I think can only be a good thing. :-)
John Patrick will be starting first grade on the 22nd. It's wonderful to go into a school year without all the pregnancy hormones like last year. :-) I'm excited to see all he learns this year. He seems to really enjoy and learn well under the classical method of songs and chants. I'm sure they'll be a little bit of an adjustment being there all day but he's very interested to see what's like.
I have lots of thoughts on the purpose of the God's law (commandments from scripture) in my parenting but I'm not sure I'll ever get the time to regularly sit down and think them out on this blog. It's something God's teaching me about this summer. After six and a half years of parenting now, I seem to see less place for manners just for the sake of manners. I've been thinking a lot about some of the things I regularly hear myself say to my kids, example, "You need to stop being selfish." They can't! It's true that it's won't stop being the standard but God hasn't given them the ability to stop yet. Rather, I want them to understand that it's what's expected but I'm trying use the moment to point them towards Jesus, who died for that sin of stealing the toy from your sister, and reminding them that he came to earth to die for that very sin and that if we ask him, he'll forgive it and love us like we've never stolen a toy in our whole lives. Now that is motivation not to steal next time. Just some of my thoughts. So, if my kids are a little more unruly for a bit right now while I adjust some of my parenting thoughts, it's because sometimes when I don't like the standard run of the mill rule I'm about to feed my kids I just don't and I'll admit right now, they're just getting a little less "rules" right now while I think it out. They're also getting a little less "I've told you that lots of times, why do you keep doing it?!?" Which I think can only be a good thing. :-)
One motivation of mine has been well put by Elise Fitzpatrick, "We have far too high a view of our ability to shape our children and far too low a view of God's love and trustworthiness."
2 comments:
THANK YOU, Krissy!! That is exactly what I needed to hear. I am facing lots of homeschool anxieties with having so many surgeries and expectations and on and on and I just really love and appreciate how God uses you to encourage me. You are wise beyond your 6 and half years of parenting!! Blessings to you and your beautiful beautiful family!! Julie Leed
He's good to meet us right where we are, isn't he Julie?
Most of my thoughts are spurred on my this book by Elise Fitzpatrick called Give them Grace. I know your overloaded but stash it away for the next time you have time for your own reading. It's been great and not a "formula" kind of parenting book. I can't handle those!!
Post a Comment