Wednesday, February 17, 2010

yummy (not healthy) recipe

Okay, this is not exactly what my friend Katie suggested we post to help each other with new meal ideas because this one calls for oil packed sun dried tomatoes which are rare in my cabinet and a little expensive. But, it's fast, easy and really yummy so I'll share.

Chicken Pappardelle

  • 8 oz. dry pappardelle (wide egg noodles, Kroger doesn't have the real deal so I buy the regular wide egg noodles in a bag, you could probably use wheat to make it healthier- bleck!!)
  • 2 strips of thick sliced bacon, diced
  • 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes-oil packed, drained and minced
  • 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine (I never have this so I just substitute chicken broth)
  • 1 cup chicken broth **side note-if you've never tried Tones chicken base (paste) in place of broth you're seriously missing out on a great thing. The taste is wonderful and you can get it at Sam's in a 16 or so ounce jar that is ready in your fridge whenever you need it.Just mix 1 tsp with 8oz. water**
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream (I don't know what you would use to make this healthier :-)
  • salt and black pepper to taste

Cool pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

Saute bacon and tomatoes in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until bacon browns, 3 minutes.

Add chicken, garlic, and pepper flakes, and cook until fragrant.

Deglaze with wine, scraping bottom of skillet. Stir in broth, cream and pasta, and bring to a simmer. Cook until sauce thickens slightly (due to starch in noodles), about 3 minutes. season with salt and pepper.

**Note- I wasn't ready to eat when this was done so it sat for a while on the stove a very low simmer and lots of the sauce was reduced. Try not to do that! My sister said she has had a dish like this at a restaurant with peas, if that helps with keeping it healthy. I served it with peas on the side and a salad.

1 comment:

the mama said...

Yummmmmm! Kara made this recipe for us and we loved it!