Friday, June 13, 2008

A sad story

There was a great tree in our back yard that my kids loved and the Richmond's kids before them. I have no idea what kind of a tree it was but it was perfect for little ones to play in. It had about eight branches 10 -12 inches in diameter that all spread out at the bottom to leave a great spot to step in. The kids could walk about two feet up a couple of the branches without being more than one or two feet off the ground. Lots of shade too. It was a great tree.
Last week in the storms on Monday we lost two branches in the wind. I was sad and it left a gap but all wasn't lost.
On Wednesday we lost power, huddled in the basement with poor Betsy who got to see my kids loosing it over the loss of lights because I don't have a flashlight or candles. When we were safe to go back upstairs I realized two more branches had fallen and taken out a couple of the others in the fall. :-( The whole beautiful tree had to come down.
Outside of my possibly over the top love of great climbing trees (I still climb trees when I'm not prego) this was sad for the whole family. In the end we have lots of campfire wood to burn and lots of mulch if anyone would like some.
This is the tree behind the kids. :-)
Here are my kids and Elly tromping out to climb in the Great Climbing Tree.



This is what was left after all the dead/broken limbs were cut out. :-(


Here are the sad remains. A few stumps and a large pile of mulch... mulch anyone?




3 comments:

Kimberly said...

This is very sad. It is! I feel a little sad in my heart. When I was little, my neighbors had a huge Magnolia tree in which we would spend hours of our time. I'm feeling the sadness. Looking at those pictures you can tell it was perfect for them.

kara h said...

This story must greatly upset Porter because as I'm reading he's hiccupping and hiccupping in there!

What a sad little tree.

FYI: Ben owns one of those branch mulcher/chopper things. I didn't think of that before, but if you still need it now or if you need it in the future you're welcome to it.

The Talberts said...

That is sad! And your yard is beautiful. Looks like a great place to be. :)