Thursday, June 24, 2010

on being 5.... and others things

With baby Mia.

John Patrick has made noticeable changes these days. (Yes, my hormones can barely stand it. My baby's growing up. Wiping his hands after a meal is still very necessary but they are all bony and skinny like some kind of big kid.) Besides losing the second tooth in front he can often be found doing boyish things that are usually a little destructive in nature. Not in a rotten way, he's being 5 and curious. Thankfully John finds it humorous. I was a little afraid he would be annoyed with putting back together all the things his son takes apart. But, after all, this is the man who secretly dismantled his school's water fountain in kindergarten. Here he can be found tying string to the railing. I forget why this was necessary.


Here is my dismantled baby swing that just had to have it's screws taken out for some reason. At least he wasn't messing around the outlets with the screwdriver.


Question~ If your five year old doesn't want to nap anymore and doesn't fall asleep easily but sleeps for a long time is he ready to be done?
Last night after the girls were in bed we asked John Patrick if he was excited about kindergarten. We already knew the answer, he's very excited. When John asked what he thought he might learn, John Patrick looked a little confused and said, "I don't know. I thought I got to play a lot." :-)

If I had titled this post "on being 20 months" you would find the little rotten creature below attempting to flee the scene of the crime where she emptied my recipe box all over the floor. But, I didn't, so we won't dwell on the rottenness....

deep breath...

moving on.

(Don't remind me about my recent post on spoiling them at 18 months, k?)

Moving on to a topic that always brings a smile... cookies!

I call these Connie's Cookies because I got the recipe from my friend Connie but I've been told they are called Million Dollar Cookies. I don't really care what they are called as long as I get to eat them! They are my very favorite cookie, which is saying a lot.
sift together~ 2 cup flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1tsp baking soda, 1 tsp baking powder and 2 1/2 cups blended oats (measured before blending) separately~ cream 1 cup butter and 1 cup each granulated and brown sugar, add~ 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla, mix in dry ingredients, add 12 oz chocolate chips, 1/2 Hershey candy bar (grated) and 1/2 cup nuts. The dough will be dry, don't worry. bake at 355 (weird temp, I know, I could have just copied that wrong, haha) for 10 minutes or until just golden on the edges. (I don't think I've ever even used the Hershey bar but I have eaten Connie's that way and they are awesome. I just never have one when I want one.) They are soft and chewy and delicious!!!


I was a little... overwhelmed about life lately. John suggested I do something I enjoy for a little while today. You have to know my husband who has been described as "like having 6 men on the job" to know how kind and thoughtful this was of him to suggest. At first he said, "go to Starbucks for a little while" but then laughed and said, "I guess that's what I would do."

Instead, in the very middle of cleaning the kitchen, I looked at my new 40 cent table runner from Old Time Pottery clearance (because who doesn't love to shop for things you didn't need before you went if they only cost 40 cents) and thought for the tenth time how I would love to see some flowers in the middle of the table. I keep putting it off because 1) something more urgent is usually calling to me and 2) the lilies just close at the end of the day and don't re-open again. But, not today! I embraced the advice, grabbed my scissors, left the screaming 20 month old screaming (not hurt, just pouting) and went outside for 5 minutes of perusing the flowerbeds. ahhhhhh... not only do I enjoy stuffing them into the jar just so but I can enjoy them in the kitchen all day. John will think this is the strangest thing to do for relaxation, but that's why no one has ever described me as like having 6 women on the job~ but rather, "Bubbles". I'd like to revisit Bubbles someday, she's been missing lately.



Lastly (man this has been a long post!) I'm going to post this shower curtain on Craig's List but if any of you want it, your welcome to it for free. It's in fine shape. We inherited it with the house, I'm just not really a dog and cat person. John Patrick assured me it was his very favorite and my 65 cent find at OTP was not as cool.

3 comments:

The Talberts said...

Jacob goes around tying string to everything in sight. Maybe it's a boy thing? I don't know. But I do know that when you are nine months pregnant and can't see your feet and someone has tied a string between the leg of the dining room chair and the lever on the living room recliner, it is not a good thing. String is sort of on a need-to-ask basis now.

Does JP still sleep well at night when he naps during the day? Jacob has been done with naps for a long time. Libby is just now kind of easing out of them. I knew she was ready because she will fall asleep easily for a nap and even seems to look forward to it, but if she sleeps, she's up until ten or eleven. A workable solution has been to tell them they don't need to sleep, but they do need to rest quietly in their rooms with a couple of books or whatever. Telling them that they don't have to sleep somehow keeps them from falling asleep anyway. So then they still fall asleep at night, but we all get just a bit of time to ourselves, which is .. you know .. vital.

The House of Schwartz said...

You know If you can find any old cheap appliances at yard sales like old phones or toaster and radios you can let JP take them apart and put them back together as much as he wants. Tony's Mom used to do this and he LOVED it. My brother Micah used to do this all the time too. ( He actually fixed things for my mom when he was a little guy.) They just seem to have this insatiable need to put things together, take them apart and figure them out. Glad God gave somebody that talent because it sure ain't me.

the mama said...

I loved when grandpa bought Donnie that strange singing and dancing fish and he immediately dismantled it.