Tuesday, May 26, 2009

In Loving Memory


My mom's mother passed away early Monday morning. Please pray for our family and especially my Grandpa John and my mom as we grieve Grandma Edna's unexpected death. She was a wonderful grandma and great grandma.
Here are just a few of the fond memories I have. I wish I could post pictures of the images in my memory, you would all love to see them. For now, just try really hard to imagine the fun!
  • My grandma and I shared a love for coloring and she had LOTS of coloring books and would color with us for hours if we wanted.
  • Never did we go hungry at grandma's house!! I loved meals in between swimming him in her pool: lunch meat sandwiches, chips and dip and popsicles. Don't forget to wait 30 min.(or at least 20 if we were really driving her bonkers with begging) before swimming again. :-) She also made the most wonderful fried chicken you've ever had and always served with homemade noodles. These are my next project to learn. I had a lesson once that I recorded in my journal at the time so I plan to dig it out soon.
  • My grandma was the queen of Christmas decorations and her tree was at least 9 feet tall in my memories. :-) I definitely heard Santa's reindeer on her roof at least once in all the years we spent Christmas night at her house.
  • Riding bikes to the Dairy Queen in town. We could order anything, and i do mean anything, we wanted.
  • Playing on her front porch for hours. she would help us set up an "office" and we would pretend to do all kinds of doodling and phone calling on all her scrap paper.

I could go on and on and on. This is the first Grandparent I've lost and what a strange feeling. The funeral is this Wednesday and Thursday. Thank you for your prayers.

8 comments:

Kara said...

I'm sorry for your loss.
Grandmas are great- we played "office" ALL the time, too!

e, m and e j said...

grandmas play such an important role in shaping who we are...i will pray for you & the rest of your siblings as well as your sweet mama. praying that He will keep you in His perfect peace.

Rachael Neal said...

krissy -

how blessed for your children to have known your wonderful grandmother. my mother's parents passed before matt and i were married. he never had the opportunity to meet my grandmother, who sounds a lot like yours. she was from kentucky and a beautiful, souther woman who loved the lord. your memories will last forever!

rachael

Lee and Candace said...

We'll be praying for your family!

Susan Holt Simpson said...

So sorry to hear of your Grandma's passing! Praying for you right now,

s

Kimberly said...

May God bless each one of you in your family during this time! I'll be praying that God comforts each one in the exact way that you each need and in the way only He can.

Betsy said...

Kris-
what a sweet memorial to your grandma! She sounds like a lovely lady...and this tells me much about your mom and you girls!

Carrie S said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and the loss you must also feeling for your grandpa and for your own children. We will be praying for all of you - your mom, too. What a blessing that you're close enough to go and be together to grieve, but also to celebrate an amazing life. May God's presence be very real to you all.
What a good reminder to appreciate those special relatives or just other people in our lives that we create those lifelong memories with. It's so important to write them down so we don't forget and can continue to pass them on.