Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Review

Dora and I went to the Cincinnati Ballet's New Nutcracker last Thursday and had a WONDERFUL time. I think we'll go again if we can get in on the 10.00 tickets... but... and it's a pretty big but... it was nothing like the old Nutcracker. I'll go ahead and admit I'm always on the side of sticking with what works. Why change things if it's already magical. I'm not opposed to changing the set or the costumes or choreography but a CHICKEN laying eggs in place of Mother Ginger?!? Also, Clara didn't throw her shoe at the mouse king (a serious let down for a 4 year old who has been studying her library book and knows what should happen before Clara does) besides which that whole scene was a little confusing. And the Arabian dancers... oh. my. word. There were two woman wearing next to NOTHING hanging (and I do mean hanging) all over this one man who had an extremely seductive look on his face the whole time. It was soooo inappropriate and didn't even fit the rest of the "whimsical" theme that was obvious throughout the rest of the play. Also, one of the main characters that followed Clara through the whole thing was a poodle. She was actually danced by a very talented little girl but still- a poodle? It just didn't fit. There was a dance of larger poodles also.


I have lots more thoughts but I doubt it really matters all that much to you all so I'll just summarize with this: It was a precious ballet that should NOT be called the Nutcracker. Now Dora and I are going to have to fly to another city to experience the real Nutcracker. If it wasn't for the Arabian and his lady friends I'd say it's still a great ballet, but with them it's just a good ballet. I just wish it was called something else. Like, Christmas from a Poodles Perspective, or something like that.


Sorry if I've offended those of you who loved it. Just keepin' it real. :-)


No comments: