... something like this happens to you and you're just not that embarrassed:
I was taking pictures for my friend's wedding last Saturday morning. They were married in a really neat (even though it's neatness came from the fact that it was falling apart) decommissioned Catholic church. (Only 500.00 for those of you who care)
Anyway, after the ceremony the alter was turned into the dance floor. So, for the couples first dance they are on stage I'm taking their picture. Trying to be discreet I take a few shots and then sit on the left side of a pew that was left on stage from the bridal party during the wedding. As I go to sit down I get a funny feeling that nothing is under me as the pew promptly breaks in half and all of my pregnant self goes crashing to the ground.
Here's the catch, after I regain composure from laughing so hard and telling everyone I'm fine (I told the bride my water probably broke but otherwise I was good) my little brother and best man to the groom says, "I guess you didn't get that memo. We knew it was busted that's why all the groomsmen were crammed onto the right side during the ceremony." Thanks Don. Nope, I missed that memo.
The funny thing about it was, I was honestly not that embarrassed. I don't know if walking around with breast milk on yourself because I forgot a nursing pad or being told by many a dad on the book field to get off his front porch or if it's just getting old and realizing I'm not as cool as I thought I was. But somewhere in the last 10 years I've apparently built up a little resistance to being absolutely mortified.
Now, if you were at the wedding and know something I don't know, like how I flashed the whole crowd, don't tell me. I don't want to know. I'm good.
4 comments:
Oh my word, this is so halarious! I think you've always had a gift of being a good sport, Kris! There is just something about motherhood that strips away all artifice and we are just left with our real selves hanging out there. Once with Clay (this was early on) I dropped him off at my friend's house for a date night and she had this horrified look on her face and pointed to my chest. Well, lets just say breastmilk on your shirt took on a whole new meaning! Everywhere! She was like, "Do you want a new shirt?!" I could have been mortified, but was so out of it that I just said, "Nah. It'll dry." LOL!
Ha! I would have loved to have seen that! You poor thing. I know what you mean about not being embarassed, I've always said that my most embarrasing moment was when I was clotheslined by the limbo pole at RECA Roller Rink in fourth grade during the all-boys limbo skate. Ever since then, nothing seems to phase me!
I don't get too embarrassed, either. And it all started with pregnancy. There is just some sort of letting go that has to happen when you pee every time you sneeze.
I used to live in the house next to that church, by the way. And our "church" (if you want to call it that) met in the church building. Very weird time of my life. My mother in law was at the wedding and she was telling me all about the building and I was like, "Was this in .. No'wood?"
I agree ladies, it just has to do with pregnancy.
seriously Melissa, why am I even surprised at your life stories anymore?
I was definatly feeling a little out of place in my minivan.
Post a Comment