Tuesday, January 20, 2009

thoughts

I'm prefacing this by saying: I'm thinking as I type and trying to get my brain in order. This is a first and it could be confusing, to say the least. I should probably just go to bed but instead, here goes...
I know this was a historic day, at least that's what everyone tells me to think. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see the democratic system working in our country. I even see the importance of a black president as far as it proves that our country has come a long way in the last 233 years of existence. So there, I've covered that.
But did anyone else have to continue to remind themselves of the sovereignty of our God today?
It's funny because our pastor is doing a series on the sovereignty of God specifically for these challenging times and until today I thought I wasn't one of "the people" he needed to speak to.
But I realise it's not just "baby Christians" who are challenged. Anyone who values the life of the unborn, the Christian foundations of our country, our incredible economic system, etc. have good cause to hold tight to the sovereignty of God right now. This sounds silly to me as I type because Christians all over the world already know this but I am having to remind myself.
Hmm... I have so many thoughts right now, maybe this wasn't the best way to get them out! :-)
I think I better just stick with God thinking for me right now:

"For it is you who light my lamp; the Lord my God lightens my darkness. For by you I can run against a troop, and by my God I can leap over a wall. This God-his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true' he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him." Ps. 18:28-30

Thank you Lord that you have everything planned out perfectly. You appoint the rulers to accomplish your perfect plan for me and for my children. You are ruling and reigning and nothing happens that you don't allow first. You are always good, always my strength and your word is alive to give strength to my weary heart when I forget. Thank you for accepting the sacrifice of Jesus, in my place, so that I can know this peace.
As my children sing without question: "God is so good, God is so good, God is so good, he's so good to me."

2 comments:

Susan Holt Simpson said...

Kris, I'm right with you on clinging! While watching the ceremonies, I couldn't stop thinking, "I can't believe this is happening!" Then I had to remind myself that He is in control, just like you're doing. Glad to know I'm in good company! Thanks for the encouragement-

s

Kimberly said...

What a great reminder, Kris! Thanks for sharing! I love the verse where it says that God holds the heart of kings in His hands. That one comforts me!