Friday, September 28, 2012

John's job

I could say so many things. I almost didn't say anything because I know my words will fail and trying to speak for someone else is always going to miss the mark a little. But I think staying silent would be worse so even with my poor vocabulary and inadequate writing skills, here goes...
My husband is a passionate man. He's gifted and driven and works hard at what he is committed to. If he's your friend he will support you with all he can. He is loyal and understanding. He's reasonable and open minded. He can listen and sift and learn and teach. He doesn't give up easily even when others quit or offend him. He's forgiving and loves to restore the possibilities of what could be.
All of these things are at least part of why I think it's hard for him to walk away from flying airplanes for Comair.
Maybe some of you have a job that you love as much as my husband loved his job. He has always looked to the sky on a beautiful day, or a day with interesting weather, or just about anytime he hasn't flown in a while and said something like, "It's a great day to fly!" or "man, I can't wait to go flying!" or "I can't believe I get paid to do this!"
I read an article recently that tried to explain why pilots love what they do. It doesn't sound like any amount of training, though it takes many years and looong hours, can teach a person to love it. It's just given to them. A gift that is unwrapped every time they smell jet fuel in the cold morning air or see a sunset over the horizon or take on a challenging landing and ace it. I don't even understand half of it except that I know John. I know how he has worked since he was 12 to do what he was doing for Comair. I know he is more at home in an airplane than a car and that he LOVES the community of pilots wherever he goes.

So, while he is very talented and excited to use his talents for his family business, it's a hard thing to give up. It was more than a job, it was flying.
I'm thankful that he's an example to me of being unashamedly zealous for the talents God gives. He definitely didn't bury it in the sand. He knew God had given him something special. Not just in flying but in loving it.
I'll continue to look to him for my example of how to live full of gratitude to our Father for the opportunities we are given if we are willing to work hard and get caught up in the idea of what could be.
Just wait, Anchor Storage doesn't know all the possibilities he has stored up just waiting for the opportunity to go hard after them. And someday, maybe they'll need a pilot. :-)
I'm so proud of you John and I wish this could communicate half of my love and admiration I have for you. And,  please, don't make me sleep on the couch for posting it for the world to know. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh...we look at the sky on those days too. So sad for John. Paul and John can talk about how much they love being in the sky together.

melissa said...

This was beautiful, Kris. Thanks for sharing.