I adopted a friends chocolate cake recipe that I adore but I've never made a white cake from scratch and all of the websites I read said "don't waste your time, buy a Duncan Hines cake mix and be done with it." Well, not a chance am I buying a box cake, right? I have my standards.
I decided to make a practice cake this week and told my cousin I would bring it to her Thursday afternoon. Thursday morning I panicked a little when the oven timer went off indicating my made from scratch cake was finished. The cake was still soup. grrrrr.
So, three made from scratch white cakes later, here is the finished product.
It's Duncan Hines. ;-)
I'm not giving up. I'm just out of time. Suggestions welcome.
The butter cream was fun, though. Did you know it's the consistency of Hellman's mayonnaise? I didn't and it almost ruins it for me. almost. It was divine and really great for the whippy effect Sammy wanted.
Bring on the white cake ideas folks.
2 comments:
I haven't experimented with a made from scratch cake but I took a cake decorating class at Fantasy in Frosting (a wedding cake shop in Newport, KY) and they gave us their recipe for cakes, its uses a cake box + doctoring it some. If you can't find a made from scratch recipe, I'd be happy to share it with you if you don't figure out a homemade recipe.
PS - LOVE the poem by JP, so sweeet!
I would be interested in that Crystal. krissy@krissyspics.com
Post a Comment