Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Someone should tell them. -a mommy's poem




Someone should tell the two year olds there shouldn't be potty on the floor on Mother's Day.


Someone should tell the four year olds they shouldn't argue on Mother's Day.


Someone should tell the five year olds they should nap on Mother's Day.
Someone should tell Abuelo's that 1 hour is too long to wait on Mother's Day.


Someone should tell Lowe's that they should have prettier flowers on Mother's Day.


Someone should tell me next year that magic doesn't happen just because it's Mother's Day.








I wasn't going to post this because I woke up feeling wretched and felt so wretched most of the day, despite my wonderful husbands efforts to shower me with love. I couldn't figure out why. I think, now, it's because I thought too much about Mother's Day being a day where I'm allowed to think about how tired I am and how much the world owes me. ew. ick. Next year I really don't want to think about what I want or how I can be served at all. It's dangerous. Mothering is hard. I don't love them because of what they do for me. Jesus loves me in spite of me and so I love my babies not because of anything they do or how completely cute they are but because they are children of God too. Sinners, just like me. No more worthy of love, no less valuable because of Christ's work. THAT is what I should have been thinking on Mother's Day. Like I said, I let my brain take the day off. not a good idea. Because let's just be honest, if they day is about making moms be completely spoiled, my kids would have to be at one of your houses while I'm sleeping in, and that just doesn't seem like the point, does it.



I'm thankful for the privilege of motherhood. I love my babies. I had lunch out and chose some wonderful flowers from the local nursery after Lowe's bombed. I enjoyed a Chai tea. But I don't think just because it's Mother's Day anyone can magically make me catch up on sleep, loose weight, and stop being a sinner!! :-)



My thought- Next year just surprise me with a random Mother's Day. Or better yet, Mother's breakfast. That way I don't have any ridiculous expectations on my precious children and after breakfast the day goes on as normal. Can I get an AMEN?!?

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

AMEN!!! I fell into the same trap! And I walked away from the day thinking why is today set apart from other days where everyone's a sinner (including me)and randomly, in America, no one is on Mother's Day?

Pocket said...

Aaaaaaamen! I'm so glad someone else's day turned out like mine. I always have stupid high expectations for any holiday, and now I can add Mother's Day to the list. I felt really guilty for not loving every minute of the day. Thanks for the post.

Geeg said...

I seriously think it is the lack of sunshine. Kids are grown. Got flowers and wonderful cards but just wasn't the amazing day I thought it would be. My problem, but don't know why I felt so blah. I missed my mom I do know that. Thanks for the blog and pics of those adorable children. So great.

the ashley family said...

I didn't even think I HAD expectations...I thought I knew better (after that awful birthday incident last year - remember?) But alas, I am transient and weak. Who knew?

krissy said...

oh geeg. I'm sorry. I miss her too.

I know Danielle, I didn't think I did either. Maybe expectations isn't the word... just too much encouragment to think about myself.